Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Failure to Launch

Ok, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my fabulous Berlin expatriate life off the ground. Yesterday I spent most of the day holed up in my studio apartment working on an article. It turned out very long and boring, and I'm sure everyone will hate it.

In the evening I went out to try to purchase tickets for an exhibition soccer match between Berlin team Hertha and Liverpool. I got the address of the ticket vendors off the internet and hit the road, but then I couldn't find it. Spent over an hour wandering the city.

So today I thought I'd go visit beautiful Baroque Schloss Charlottenburg. But when I got there it was very cloudy and grey outside. The gardens are one of the Schloss' main attractions so I thought I should probably hold off and wait for a sunny day. I read in my guide book that there is a museum of Egyptian artifacts near the Schloss - its collection includes the world renown bust of Nefertiti.

Who doesn't love Egyptian artifacts? So I figured I'd go there instead, but then I could not find it. There was an art gallery on the spot where my guide book said the Egyptian museum should be. They had weird posters of Surrealist decapitated heads in the windows. I went up to the desk where the gallery attendant told me that the Egyptian museum had moved to a different location some time ago. Well, at least I had come to the right spot. I'm not going insane.

sigh. What's a girl to do? Get coffee and pflaumentorte at the museum cafe, of course.

Hopefully tomorrow things will pick up. I'm going to a reception for the opening of an art exhibit hosted by the Berlin Anglophile Society (of which I am, naturally, a member.) Then Thursday my main man Obama comes to town, and I will be busy producing coverage of that. Stay tuned...