Saturday, March 25, 2006

Zijn Hand Zal U Bewaren

I was reading a Dutch newspaper yesterday and it had a story that the 1933 bridge in the Dutch town of Bommel has been torn down. There is a new one now called....De Martinus Nijhof Bridge! The old bridge was the inspiration for one of the most famous poems in Dutch literature. "De Moeder De Vrouw" (The Mother The Woman) by Martinus Nijhof. I remember reading this poem with my mother several years ago. I have thought about it quite a few times since then. It leaves an impression.

De Moeder De Vrouw

Ik ging naar Bommel om de brug te zien.
Ik zag de nieuwe brug. Twee overzijden
die elkaar vroeger schenen te vermijden,
worden weer buren. Een minuut of tien
dat ik daar lag, in 't gras, mijn thee gedronken,
mijn hoofd vol van het landschap wijd en zijd -
laat mij daar midden uit de oneindigheid
een stem vernemen dat mijn oren klonken.

Het was een vrouw. Het schip dat zij bevoer
kwam langzaam stroomaf door de brug gevaren.
Zij was alleen aan dek, zij stond bij 't roer,

en wat zij zong hoorde ik dat psalmen waren.
O, dacht ik, o, dat daar mijn moeder voer.
Prijs God, zong zij, Zijn hand zal u bewaren.


A couple years ago I tried my hand at translating poetry. My resounding failure quite soured on the whole concept. But, I promise there will be all-English blogging for my American readership tomorrow….